To be honest, the past 5 years I do not make my gingerbread cookies by scratch anymore. I have found less people eat them, so I do not need to make as many. I now use a large roll of gingerbread cookie dough in a tube. However, here is the recipe when I did bake them from scratch.
- 6 c. of all-purpose flour
- 1 T. of baking powder
- 1 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp of ground cloves
- 1 T. of ground ginger
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 c. of shortening, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 c. of molasses
- 1 c. of brown sugar
- 1/2 c. of water
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Sift the flour, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the shortening, molasses, brown sugar, water, egg, and vanilla extract until smooth. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients until they are completely absorbed. Divide the dough into 3 pieces, pat down to 1 1/2 inches thickness, wrap in plastic and store in regrigerator for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface roll the dough out to 1/4 inches. Cut into desired shape and place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheet
- Bake 10-12 minutes. When the cookies are done, they will look dry but will be soft to the touch. Remove from baking sheet and onto cooling rack. When cookies are cooled, you can decorate.
Click Here to go back to Recipe Home Page